Search This Blog

Thursday, November 4, 2010

A Day in the Life of a Denishawn Student



Dear Journal,

Today I woke up before it was even light out because I was so excited to start my first day at Denishawn School of Dancing and Other Related Arts. My mother was up too, fussing around the kitchen trying to make me the perfect sendoff breakfast. Of course, I couldn't eat because I was so nervous. As we drove up the hills outside Los Angeles, I had no idea that we had reached the place where I would spend my next 12 weeks when we pulled up. It looked more like a beautiful spa that celebrities stay in than a dance studio. It is this beautiful old spanish style mansion and I am in awe right now just in my bedroom.

We got there bright and early so that I could make it in time for class. We had three hours of technique classes. Ted started us off with barre. We did plies in first, second, third (which I found strange) fourth and fifth, rond de jambes, petit battements, and grande battements. We did some fouette preps at the bar as then moved on to the center where we worked on some basics from adagio (like developes and renverses) then we worked petit allegro (lots of beats!) then moved on to practicing every kind of pas de basque in the book. We even learned a new kind specific to the Denishawn technique that used modern arms and a lot of lateral torso movement. We did some technical combinations in center with lots of body rolls and isolations. Then we moved onto the floor for arm and hand exercises, then last it was back up to learn a long combination and perform it in groups. Ted said that we learn by performing, and I really had a blast performing for my peers on my first day.

We had lunch together in the dining room, and I got to mingle with the other pupils. Everyone is really nice. After lunch we went to the outdoor ballroom to start classes with Ruth. First she started with some typical yoga breathing, then took us through a full sun salutation for almost thirty minutes. Then we moved through yoga poses and stretches from different Eastern traditions. It was neat how Ruth explained the origin and philosophy behind each one.

We ended the day with some origami and other arts and crafts just to let us relax and then started a discussion of what book we would like to read in our group. I can't wait until we narrow it down and start reading tomorrow!

I need to go to sleep now so that I can be ready for another 3 hours of technique in the morning with Ted, so I will write again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment